The Japanese Society of Chiropractic Science (JSCS)
The Japanese Society of Chiropractic Science (JSCS) which was established as a research arm of the Japanese Association of Chiropractors, promotes an evidence-based, patient-centered, inter-professional and integrative care in chiropractic practice.
The main objective of the society is to advance scientific skills and knowledge in relation to safety and effectiveness in chiropractic practice. The society holds a research conference annually in order to assist chiropractors who completed the international WHO-standards education for updating their scientific knowledge in relation to safety and effectiveness in their clinical practices including spinal manipulation/adjustments. The society has been publishing its own journal, ‘the Japanese Journal of Chiropractic Science’ (JJCS) since 1984.
Board of Directors
Chairperson: Masayoshi Tsuruoka PhD (Showa University)
Vice-Chairperson: Seika Kamohara MD, PhD (Health Science University)
Research Committee : Yoshiaki Takeyachi MD, DC, PhD (Tokio Marine & Nichido Medical Service)
Planning Committee: Tomohiko Wakatsuki DC (Wakatsuki Chiropractic)
Academic Programs and Proceedings
- November 11-12, 1983: 1st Clinical Chiropractic Symposium at Nihon Seinen Kaikan in Tokyo.
- November 23-24, 1985: 2nd Clinical Chiropractic Symposium at Asakusa View Hotel in Tokyo.
- October 10-12, 1987: 3rd Clinical Chiropractic Symposium at National Kyoto International Hall in Kyoto.
- November 3-5, 1989: 4th Clinical Chiropractic Symposium at Kanazawa Kanko Hall in Kanazawa.
- November 2-3, 1991: 5th Clinical Chiropractic Symposium at Kagoshima Civic Cultural Hall in Kagoshima.
- November 21-23, 1993: 6th Clinical Chiropractic Symposium at Loyton Sapporo in Sapporo.
- September 2-3, 1995: 7th Clinical Chiropractic Symposium at Shin-Yokohama Prince Hotel in Yokohama.
- March 11, 2018: 8th Clinical Chiropractic Symposium at Tsukuba University Tokyo campus in Tokyo.
- November 11-12, 2018: 9th JSCS Annual Conference at Makuhari Messe in Chiba. “Sports and Chiropractic”
- November 3-4, 2019: 10th JSCS Annual Conference at Showa Women’s University in Tokyo. “Promotion of Evidence-based Clinical Practice”
- November 3, 2020: 11th JSCS Annual Conference at Kotsu building in Tokyo. “The Importance of Health Literacy in Chiropractic Practice”
- November 21-22, 2021: 12th JSCS Annual Conference at Shibaura Institute of Technology in Tokyo. “The Role of the Chiropractor in Interprofessional Collaborative Care”
- June 19-20, 2022: 13th JSCS Annual Conference via Zoom. “Musculoskeletal healthcare for healthy aging”
- June 18-19, 2023: 14th JSCS Annual Conference via Zoom. “Integrative Healthcare in Rehabilitation”
UPCOMING: The 14th Annual Conference of JSCS
Date: June 18 & 19, 2023 Venue: Web Conference Theme: 'Integrative Healthcare in Rehabilitation' Conference chair: Yasunobu Takeyachi MD,DC (Director, Takeyachi Clinic)
CLOSED: The 13th Annual Conference of JSCS
Date: June 19 & 20, 2022 Venue: Web Conference Theme: 'Musculoskeletal Healthcare for Healthy Aging' Conference chair: Takehiko Miwa DC (Japanese Federation of Chiropractic Sportive)
- Shuichi Matsuda MD, PhD (Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University)
- Hunkyung Kim PhD (Leader, Frailty and Musculoskeletal Health Research, Tokyo Metropolitan and Institute of Gerontology)
- Yuka Sumi MD, MPH, PhD (Medical Officer, Department of Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health and Ageing, World Health Organization)
- Takayuki Nagaoka(Representative, Medical Professions Division, Health Policy Bureau, Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare)
- Susumu Ikeda DC(Director, Functional Neurology Chiropractic)
Japanese Journal of Chiropractic Science
Vol.1 (September, 1984); Vol.2 No.1 (March, 1986); Vol.2 No.2 (October, 1986); Vol.3 No.1 (March, 1987); Vol.3 No.2 (October, 1987); Vol.4 No.1 (March, 1988); Vol.4 No.2 (November, 1988); Vol.5 No.1 (March, 1989); Vol.5 No.2 (November, 1989); Vol.6 No.1 (April, 1990); Vol.7 No.1 (August, 1991); Vol.7 No.2 (November, 1991); Vol.8 No.1 (March, 1992); Vol.9 (November, 2020); Vol.10 (May, 2022)
- Editor in Chief: Yoshiaki Takeyachi MD, DC, PhD (Tokio Marine & Nichido Medical Service)
- Editorial Advisors:
- Masayoshi Tsuruoka PhD (Showa University, Japan)
- Seika Kamohara MD, PhD (Health Science University, Japan)
- Koji Otani MD, DMSc (Fukushima Medical University, Japan)
- Dana Lawrence DC, MMedEd, MA (Parker University, USA)
- Ricardo Fujikawa MD, DC (Madrid College of Chiropractic, Spain)
- Yi Kai Wong DC, MPH (International Medical University, Malaysia)
Bylaws of the Japanese Society of Chiropractic Science
Article 1 (Objectives)
These Bylaws establish the organizational structure of The Japanese Society of Chiropractic Science (hereinafter the “Society”) in accordance with Article 30, Article 31 and Article 32 of the Articles of Incorporation of the Japanese Association of Chiropractors (hereinafter the “Association”) and the matters necessary for the operation of the Society. The objective of the Society is to promote the development of scientific research related to chiropractic science with the aim of ensuring that it progresses in the right direction and the aim of promoting the dissemination of and raising awareness of chiropractic in order to contribute to the medical care, health and welfare of our citizens.
Article 2 (Location of Administrative Office)
An administrative office for the Society’s operations shall be set up within the administrative office of the Association for the purpose of handling the administrative affairs of the Society.
Article 3 (Types and Qualifications of Members)
As prescribed in the Association’s Membership Regulations.
Article 4 (Committees)
The Society shall have the following Committees.
(1) Management Committee
(2) Ethics Committee
(3) Conference Planning Committee
Article 5 (Activities)
The Society shall engage in the following activities in order to achieve the objectives under the preceding article.
- Holding of academic conferences and study groups
- Issue of academic journals (Japanese Journal of Chiropractic Science)
- Promotion of research
- Research collaboration with related academic organizations in Japan and overseas
- Investigations, research and recommendations related to the Japanese medical system
- Any other activities necessary in order to achieve the objectives of the Society
Article 6 (Officers)
The Society shall have a Management Committee with the following officers.
- The Management Committee shall have not less than six (6) and not more than ten (10) committee members including one (1) Chairman and one (1) Vice Chairman.
- The provisions concerning the term of office of the officers of the Association shall apply mutatis mutandis to the term of office of the Management Committee.
- The election and dismissal of the Management Committee shall be provided for separately.
Article 7 (Revision and Repeal)
A resolution of the General Meeting of Committee Chairmen of the Association shall be required in order to revise or repeal these Bylaws.
These Bylaws shall enter into force as of July 1, 2018.